74 Belsize Lane . London . NW3 5BJ

Family Law, Litigation & Probate

phone icon020 7317 8930

General Power Of Attorney


What Is A General Power of Attorney?

General Power Of Attorney

A general power of attorney (GPA) is best suited for situations where you will need to give certain rights to someone else, so they can deal with your property on your behalf. For example, when you are going out of your current country either for a holiday or for a long period of time. It can also be known as an ordinary power of attorney.

In cases where a person is mentally incapable of doing these tasks for yourself, you would use a Lasting power of attorney. A Lasting Power of Attorney cannot be used until it is registered with the Office of the Public Guardian.

Unlike the LPA, the GPA does not need to be registered for. Therefore, as soon as the person creating it has signed, it will then be fully effective.

How Is The GPA Helpful?

The GPA would be used if you are selling a house but during the time where contacts are due to be exchanged, you are on holiday. At this point the General Power of Attorney would step in and take care of your side of things.

If a problem was to happen while you were away, these modifications can be signed off by the GPA. If you fail to have a GPA in these circumstances, it’ll mean that you won’t be able to complete the necessary paperwork. Even if you agreed to all the amendments.

Dismissing the GPA

Once you have finished with using the GPA you will no longer need it to be in force. To dismiss the document, you must complete a deed of revocation.

In addition, the GPA will automatically end if you lose your mental capacity to make your own decisions.

If you have any questions regarding anything you have read, then don’t hesitate to contact us.